Dog Treat Dispensing Toys are becoming more popular and while they can play a part in your dog’s routine there are some issues to be aware of. Choose durable & cleanable toys. Choose healthy treats. Don’t confuse ‘rewards’ and make it a playtime activity routine.
Dog Treat Dispensing Toy Reminders
Not all toys are created equal
- Dog toys need to be safe, durable, and non-toxic. Be certain the brand you buy meets all of the safety regulations for ‘food grade’ materials.
- Be sure the toy is easily cleaned. Clean and dry regularly.
Not all treats are healthy
- Use healthy treats measured according to your dog’s calorie requirements.
Treats already earned shouldn’t be worked for again
- Positive praise and approval work best when they are instantaneous. It is confusing when you want to show your approval of a behavior and then you give your dog a toy to ‘work’ for the treat. By the time he receives the reward he has forgotten the praise of a few moments ago.
Create a routine.
- Plan your dog’s treat dispensing toy time for once a day or once a week (for example), and
- Incorporate the activity into a routine of playtime.
Read More Getting Lifestyle Right Series
We love to provide information to our families to support and increase optimal health of their puppies, as well as into adulthood increasing the longevity of their life!
The brand you feed is the most important decision you can make as a pet parent.
Visit our resource page: (http://wisteriagoldens.com/lifes-abundance/) and let me know if you have any questions.